Nick Kyrgios, angry over Stuttgart’s defeat, has demanded racial harassment

Nick Kyrgios

Australia’s Nick Kyrgios throws his racquet while playing Italy’s Janik Cena during the Miami Open on March 29, 2022 at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida. Matthew Stockman / Getty Images / AFP (Photo by Matthew Stockman / Getty Images North America / Getty Images via AFP)

Australian firebrand Nick Kyrgios claims he was racially abused by part of the crowd after losing to Andy Marr in a bad mood in the semifinals in Stuttgart on Saturday.

Kyrgios was fined one point and then broke a racket before an angry exchange with a group in the crowd for a game-like behavior at the start of the second set.

The 27-year-old, who is of Greek descent, said he was a victim of racism.

“When will it stop? Dealing with racist slander from the crowd? “Kyrgios wrote on Instagram.

“I understand that my behavior is not always the best, but ‘you little black sheep’ ‘shut up and play’ – such a small comment is not acceptable.

“When I take revenge on the people, I am punished. It’s random. “

After calling the tournament supervisor, Kyrgios only went through the motion on the court as Murray took full command to ensure a 7-6 (7/5), 6-2 victory in the 93rd minute.

Murray will play in the 70th final of his career and will bid for his first title since Antwerp in 2019 when he plays Matteo Beretini on Sunday.

“You expect something to happen against him, so I’m not surprised when they do,” Murray said of Kyrgios.

“Losing him was a very frustrating set and he broke a racket. He was also behind the umpire and something seemed to be happening in the crowd.

“But I didn’t hear anything after the first set.”

The British star added: “The second set was not very fun, it was not very competitive.

“It simply came to our notice then. Although he started well, he got frustrated when he got close to the end. The first set was tough and the last of the first set was an important part of the match. “

Beretini reached the fourth final of his career on the grass as he defeated Oscar Otek of Germany 7-6 (9/7), 7-6 (7/5).

The runner-up is competing for the first time since March after undergoing hand surgery at Wimbledon last year.

Beretini will be looking for his first title since winning the Queens in London last June.

The No. 10 grass in the world improved to 27-6 and maintained a perfect 8-0 record at Stuttgart after winning the 2019 edition at the Weisenhof club.

“It was really hard, but I’m very happy with the result,” Beretini said. “I play tennis for moments like this.”

“When I was a teenager, a lot of my matches were close. I’m used to them – the more excitement I get, the more I enjoy it.

“I had an operation a few months ago and now I am back in the finals. It looks better – but it’s not done yet. “

Related stories

Get the latest sports news directly in your inbox


Read on

Don’t miss the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access Philippine Daily Inquirer and 70+ other headlines, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download by 4am and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, please contact us.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.