Daniel Medvedev is still optimistic about playing at Wimbledon

Tennis - ATP 250 - Geneva Open - Tennis Club de Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland - May 15, 2022 Russia's Daniel Medvedev trains before the Geneva Open REUTERS / Denis Balibouse

Tennis – ATP 250 – Geneva Open – Tennis Club de Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland – May 15, 2022 Russia’s Daniel Medvedev trains before the Geneva Open REUTERS / Denis Balibouse

Although the tournament organizers banned the Russians and Belarusians from playing in the Grasscourt Grand Slam due to the Moscow attack on Ukraine, world number two Daniel Medvedev did not give up hope of competing in Wimbledon next month.

Rafa Nadal called the decision “unfair” and the decision was quickly condemned by the men’s and women’s tours and several players.

Last week, it was suggested that Wimbledon could be knocked out of its ranking points on two tours if the ban were enforced – effectively turning the world’s most famous tennis tournament into an exhibition event.

“I tried to follow what was happening because I had no decision to make. It’s about Wimbledon, it’s about ATP, maybe the British government is involved, “the Russian, who will return to action in Geneva after recovering from a hernia operation in the past six weeks, told reporters on Sunday.

“It’s a complicated situation and like every situation in life, you ask 100 players, everyone is going to give a different opinion.

“(When) you show 100 people a tennis ball, I’m sure some of them will say it’s not green or yellow. I think it’s yellow. (But) if someone tells me it’s green, I won’t go into conflict with this person. “

Medvedev, who lost to Rafa Nadal in the final of the Australian Open in January, missed the European claycourt season because he had to avoid events in Monte Carlo, Madrid and Rome as he regained his fitness.

The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) has barred players from competing at this year’s Wimbledon in response to what Russia called a “special military operation” in Ukraine. Belarus has been a major staging ground for the invasion.

AELTC said it had made the decision in consultation with the British government.

US Open champion Medvedev said he was hopeful AELTC could take a late U-turn in its decision.

“I don’t know if this decision is 100% and it’s (for me) over,” he said.

“If I could play, I would be happy to play at Wimbledon. I love this tournament. If I can’t play – well, I’ll try to play in other tournaments and if I have the chance to play, try to prepare well for next year. “

Get the hottest sports news right in your inbox

Read on

Don’t miss the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access Philippine Daily Inquirer and other 70+ headlines, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to news, download by 4am and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, please contact us.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.